October 18, 2006
They no longer sat together, and Milana avoided him for the rest of the day. In the evening Arkadiy decided to figure out what was going on.
She opened the door almost instantly, still in her school uniform. Headphones in her ears, iPod in her hand, question in her eyes.
‘Can I come in?’
Milana stopped near her table, pulled out the headphones and looked at him. Hands folded in front of her chest. Obviously, not in the best mood for a conversation.
Arkadiy sat onto her bed out of habit, ‘I don’t get it. Is anything wrong?’
‘Yes,’ she replied. ‘You break the rules.’
‘Yeah,’ he smiled. ‘Relax, it’s fun. Come here.’
But she stood her ground, ‘It’s not a question of fun.’
‘Why do you have to be so boring, Milana?’
‘What should I be?’
‘Take it easy!’
‘Oh yeah? What if I cannot afford an easy life, Kesha?’
WTF? She cannot afford? How did she call me? Kesha??
‘Don’t call me that way,’ he said in distaste, getting off her bed.
I’m not used to talking. This should be solved differently.
‘I’ll call you the way I want. And what the heck do you want from me anyway?’
She looked at him expectantly.
‘You,’ he approached her.
‘That subject is closed!’ She stepped aside and put her hand in front of him. ‘Stay back.’
‘You’re fifteen, and you’re such a bore!’ he exclaimed, wanting to get past her barrier of indifference.
‘That’s right, Novikov. I’m fifteen, and I want my vanilla romance! I’m tired of being fucking grown up all the time,’ to his surprise, Milana remained completely calm.
‘I like romance.’
‘No. You keep showing off, playing all grown up when it’s not the time. And when you should act grown up, you act like a little boy, who is to lazy to get involved in life.’
‘I don’t get it, Smolenskaya,’ he began, but she interrupted.
‘I am the way I am. And if it doesn’t suit you, fuck off. That’s all.’
She was pointing at the door, her Rolex glimmering in the setting sun.
I thought she wouldn’t manage the talk. But she’s bossing me again.
‘Milana,’ he made another step forward, keeping her distance. ‘I didn’t want to offend you.’
‘You didn’t,’ she said calmly. ‘I appreciate honesty in a relationship. We’ve had a talk. We still have completely opposite ideas of fun, and not only. You’re free to be with the easy girls you like.’
Her finger was still pointing at the door, and her face remained impassive.
Not a shade of emotion. Withering me with her stare. Yeah, I’ve figured it out. I like you. Or not?
‘Do you have any feelings at all?’ Arkadiy asked, watching her closely.
Not a trace. How? She broke the pencil, and now she’s fucking Snow Queen.
‘Yeah, I can see it,’ he said sarcastically.
‘I have an ass too,’ she retorted with a cold smile. ‘And that’s something else I do not show to everyone.’
Got it. Neither feelings nor ass for me.
‘Fine. Okay. Have fun!’
He left the room, slamming the door shut behind him.
All rights reserved. If you want to use any part of the book, please, contact the authors.
Previous episode: 18. Smolenskaya, you don't mean what you do
Next episode: 20. He's not the man with whom I can cheat on myself
Contents. Part 1
- 1. Summer in France tastes of freedom. September, UK, dive into school
- 2. Long legs, model walk. Awesome, thanks dad!
- 3. «Have we met before?» «I don’t care. Totally.»
- 4. They’re so different. One’s attractive, the other’s annoying
- 5. Friday evening. Kamila talked about Novikov. All day long
- 6. He was waiting for her. Smolenskaya appeared ten minutes later
- 7. Castle in the air? Can’t she buy it?
- 8. You try on someone else’s life for a second, and then you feel so empty in yours
- 9. Welcome to London, welcome to life. And Smolenskaya, my guide to life
- 10. Novikov, I’m with you now only because we’re a diaspora
- 11. I behave according to my status, Novikov
- 12. So prim and proper, but there’s something in her that I like. What’s that?
- 13. Kamila can be distracted. You know what? I’m gonna help you, bro
- 14. Smolenskaya, Arkadiy Novikov has got serious plans on you!
- 15. Boss in a tee and shorts, testing the limits of her power
- 16. I’d rather give in to the waves than lose a fight with Kamila
- 17. She likes to rule millions and millionaires
- 18. Smolenskaya, you don’t mean what you do
- 19. I’m fifteen and I want my vanilla romance!
- 20. He’s not the man with whom I can cheat on myself
- 21. French manicure, shining diamonds, victory
- 22. At the end of October Smolenskaya changed her status on Facebook
- 23. Flowers? Teddies? Diamonds? What to give her? Fucking trouble!
- 24. Tenth of November, time for decisive actions!
- 25. Milana continued to ignore him, and so did Kamila
- 26. Let them resist, I’ll get what I want! Like with Novikov.
- 27. The Smolenskie are having a Christmas party. You’d better think of a present, if you know what I mean