September 18, 2006
After the Saturday incident their relationship went to a new level. There was no more prickly indifference, instead they had a kind of friendship, sealed by a secret. Nobody found out about Melani or the broken nose, and Arkadiy was really grateful for that.
Sunday turned out to be real fun.
They walked a lot, laughed, took a ride on the London Eye, discussed the things they had in common: movies, traveling, Moscow, even studies. They returned to school separately. He took a taxi, while Milana arrived in her Audi. Two hours later.
Arkadiy did not want any secrecy, but Milana said, «It’s better that way», and he had to take her word for it.
Monday gave Arkadiy his new best friend. Gena finally came back from Italy and explained a lot.
‘This isn’t a school, Archy, it’s a hellhole,’ he said during lunch. ‘Just like Slytherin, with an excess of slime.’
Arkadiy looked at Milana, sitting in the company of her friends. She’s not a Slytherin.
‘She’s okay,’ Gena agreed, following his gaze.
‘An exception. You’d better choose girls a year younger. They’re not so spoilt,’ Gena advised.
‘What do you mean, spoilt?’
‘These are already trying on our family names. Looks like Kamila’s got serious plans on you, mate!’
Gena laughed. Volkova was, indeed, staring fixedly at Arkadiy.
‘I’m doomed,’ Arkadiy smirked. ‘Who’s got plans on you then?’
‘I’m out of reach,’ Gena was grinning. ‘Intouchable, unavailable. Always busy. You’ll be busy too.’
‘Who’s Smoleskaya with?’
Arkadiy was watching Milana. Dany approached her and said something. She nodded, got to her feet and followed him out of the canteen.
‘Single, I think,’ Gena replied through a mouthfull of meat pie. ‘D’you like her?’
‘Then what’re you waiting for?’ Gena asked.
‘We’ve got a secret friendship,’ Arkadiy explained darkly.
Gena laughed again.
‘That’s because she doesn’t want to cross Kamila.’
‘I don’t get it.’
‘I’ve told you, it’s a hellhole. You cross someone, you’re as good as fucked up.’
‘But she’s cooler than Kamila,’ Arkadiy still did not understand.
‘Cooler,’ Gena nodded.
‘Then why’s she afraid of her?’
‘She’s not,’ Gena looked at Milana. ‘She doesn’t want her hands dirty. The shit won’t stink unless you touch it, got me?’
Arkadiy returned to his lunch, digesting the new information.
On the second thought, she’s definitely a Slytherin. So prim and proper. Aristocrat, my ass! But there’s something in her that I like. What’s that?
©Smolenskaya.Moscow All rights reserved. If you want to use any part of the book, please, contact the authors.
Previous episode: 11. I behave according to my status, Novikov
Contents. Part 1
- 1. Summer in France tastes of freedom. September, UK, dive into school
- 2. Long legs, model walk. Awesome, thanks dad!
- 3. «Have we met before?» «I don’t care. Totally.»
- 4. They’re so different. One’s attractive, the other’s annoying
- 5. Friday evening. Kamila talked about Novikov. All day long
- 6. He was waiting for her. Smolenskaya appeared ten minutes later
- 7. Castle in the air? Can’t she buy it?
- 8. You try on someone else’s life for a second, and then you feel so empty in yours
- 9. Welcome to London, welcome to life. And Smolenskaya, my guide to life
- 10. Novikov, I’m with you now only because we’re a diaspora
- 11. I behave according to my status, Novikov
- 12. So prim and proper, but there’s something in her that I like. What’s that?
- 13. Kamila can be distracted. You know what? I’m gonna help you, bro
- 14. Smolenskaya, Arkadiy Novikov has got serious plans on you!
- 15. Boss in a tee and shorts, testing the limits of her power
- 16. I’d rather give in to the waves than lose a fight with Kamila
- 17. She likes to rule millions and millionaires
- 18. Smolenskaya, you don’t mean what you do
- 19. I’m fifteen and I want my vanilla romance!
- 20. He’s not the man with whom I can cheat on myself
- 21. French manicure, shining diamonds, victory
- 22. At the end of October Smolenskaya changed her status on Facebook
- 23. Flowers? Teddies? Diamonds? What to give her? Fucking trouble!
- 24. Tenth of November, time for decisive actions!
- 25. Milana continued to ignore him, and so did Kamila
- 26. Let them resist, I’ll get what I want! Like with Novikov.
- 27. The Smolenskie are having a Christmas party. You’d better think of a present, if you know what I mean