September 17, 2006
It was around midday. The headache was awful, the room quiet. What a night…
‘Milana!’ Arkadiy called.
Did she leave?
He looked around and noticed a breakfast tray on a table near the window. On top of it there was a note: ‘Bon appetit. You’re in Piccadilly, a perfect place for sightseeing. Have a nice day.’
Nice day, my ass. She could’ve given me a wake-up call in person.
Arkadiy took a shower and tried to figure out what to do next. First, have breakfast. And then what? Leave?
He had lost Milana’s number together with the Vertu, and had just curst his bad luck, when suddenly the new Nokia broke the silence.
‘Are you awake?’ asked Smolenskaya’s cheerful voice.
‘Change of plans. I’m your guide for today.’
‘Are you dressed?’
Short too-toos in reply, then the door opened, and Milana entered the room, carrying two big rustling paper bags.
‘Change of clothes,’ she explained in response to his questioning look.
She was wearing white jeans, a cerulean polo-shirt, and swapped her high-heels for a pair of navy-blue mocasins.
‘Eat and lets go,’ she said.
Playing boss again.
‘Baby!’ Arkadiy took the bags from her. Milana blinked at him, puzzled. He put the bags onto the floor and pulled her close to him. ‘I dominate.’
‘Dominate,’ Smolenskaya pushed him lightly aside. ‘Dominate Kamila.’
‘Why her?’ he was beginning to get really annoyed by the ever-present Volkova.
‘Because you’ve got no chances with me,’ Milana glanced at her Rolex, smiling to herself. ‘And if you want to see London at daytime, you’d better not doddle.’
‘Why’re you such a bore?’
‘I’m not a bore, Novikov. I behave according to my status.’
Got it. Back to Novikov.
‘Arkadiy,’ he corrected, watching her fill two glasses with orange juice.
‘As friends we can have fun, Arkadiy.’.
‘I want coffee. And fuck won’t spoil the fun.’
‘No fuck and no fun or fun without fucking?’
‘Your choice is limited but you’re free to choose. Get used to it,’ she handed him the orange juice.
‘Where’ll we go?’ he decided to change the subject and accepted his glass.
Milana nodded in a satisfied way.
‘I’ll show you my London.’
Fine, let it be fun. For the time being, Smolenskaya. I’m used to getting everything I want.
©Smolenskaya.Moscow All rights reserved. If you want to use any part of the book, please, contact the authors.
Previous episode: 10. Novikov, I'm with you now only because we're a diaspora
Contents. Part 1
- 1. Summer in France tastes of freedom. September, UK, dive into school
- 2. Long legs, model walk. Awesome, thanks dad!
- 3. «Have we met before?» «I don’t care. Totally.»
- 4. They’re so different. One’s attractive, the other’s annoying
- 5. Friday evening. Kamila talked about Novikov. All day long
- 6. He was waiting for her. Smolenskaya appeared ten minutes later
- 7. Castle in the air? Can’t she buy it?
- 8. You try on someone else’s life for a second, and then you feel so empty in yours
- 9. Welcome to London, welcome to life. And Smolenskaya, my guide to life
- 10. Novikov, I’m with you now only because we’re a diaspora
- 11. I behave according to my status, Novikov
- 12. So prim and proper, but there’s something in her that I like. What’s that?
- 13. Kamila can be distracted. You know what? I’m gonna help you, bro
- 14. Smolenskaya, Arkadiy Novikov has got serious plans on you!
- 15. Boss in a tee and shorts, testing the limits of her power
- 16. I’d rather give in to the waves than lose a fight with Kamila
- 17. She likes to rule millions and millionaires
- 18. Smolenskaya, you don’t mean what you do
- 19. I’m fifteen and I want my vanilla romance!
- 20. He’s not the man with whom I can cheat on myself
- 21. French manicure, shining diamonds, victory
- 22. At the end of October Smolenskaya changed her status on Facebook
- 23. Flowers? Teddies? Diamonds? What to give her? Fucking trouble!
- 24. Tenth of November, time for decisive actions!
- 25. Milana continued to ignore him, and so did Kamila
- 26. Let them resist, I’ll get what I want! Like with Novikov.
- 27. The Smolenskie are having a Christmas party. You’d better think of a present, if you know what I mean